What is a Gender Reveal Shower
There are a couple of misconceptions when it comes to celebrating this type of baby shower.
- Is a gender reveal baby shower a co-ed event?
While it can be is does not need to be mixed company.
- Can I find gender reveal invitations or do I need to settle for a normal baby shower card?
We have plenty of great options for your gender reveal baby shower to choose from.
- Is there a right way to celebrate this type of shower?
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when you host a gender reveal shower. There are also a couple of potholes you might run into along the way. They can, however, be avoided when you know what to watch out for.
Gender Reveal Necessities
When it comes to a baby shower you have a few requirements, the difference to a normal shower and a gender reveal party are small but there are a couple of things to keep in mind when you are shopping for invitations and decorations.
If you’re planning a celebration for a girl or boy finding what you’re looking for is easy. When you’re looking for baby shower gender reveal invitations there are plenty of good opportunities as well. And a gender reveal is something that has more potential for a relaxed and enjoyable shower than a gendered shower.
Here are a few examples of what we mean when we say they provide plenty of flexible themes. Notice how the invitations incorporate that special aspect that makes them what they are, gender reveal, this is a theme you will find in almost all card templates.
But when it comes it invitations you need to think in several different terms to get the most for your shower. We’ve got plenty of different ideas that you can use and modify for your very own gender reveal, but if you really want to make the shower memorable you will need to go and add your different touch to the various options you will find online, in books, and magazines. Because just like they invitations for a gender reveal shower they act as a template to hold your ideas and a translate them into reality.
You can easily modify the invitations here to contain more than required pieces of information that you need for your baby shower. You can easily add your own touches to them to make them fit your very own personal tastes.
Here are a couple of ideas to make them fit your expectations.
- Choose a shape that fits your taste. There are numerous ways to use the card shape to make the invitation more lively. Mixing things up has the potential to make things fit with what you have planned for a non-traditional baby shower. This also gives your guest a little surprise when they open the envelope expecting to be invited to the traditional shower.
- Picking out a paper type to highlight the effect that you are trying to achieve is a good way to really stylize an invitation to fit your gender reveal theme. While a basic paper type might appeal to your budget it doesn’t always bring the most out of the design you picked. When you select a really outstanding design to customize for your gender reveal you might want to opt for little bit more expensive or fantastic paper type. There are many different styles of paper each with their own special characteristics that give you different effects on the style.
- Sample the different options. One of the more popular methods of finding the right invitation for your gender reveal shower is to sample a couple of different cards. What this means is that you might, say for example, bring the number of potential invitations down to three options.
- You will then go and take the invitations and customize them to the best of your ability at the time toward a direction you think that you will be happy with.
- Choose all of the aspects that you think you will use with the final invitation so you can compare the different cards against one another.
- It is easier to pick the right invitation for your baby shower when you have several different samples to compare against. Like this you will be able to hold them in your hands and compare the different options. You might be surprised which option your pick when you have them in hand. Sometimes the ones we liked the best on the screen aren’t the options we end up choosing in the end.
- Since you’ve only paid for a couple of different prints you save yourself from picking the wrong invitation.
- Once you have selected the right invitation you can go back and place an order for the remainder of the invitations you need for the gender reveal shower.
By being systematic and freeing your creativity you can get the fitting invitation for your celebration.
While it might seem obvious, the most common aspect that couples tend to get wrong when they host a gender reveal shower are the decorations.
Believe it or not you can easily over compensate and get carried away with the gender reveal aspect when you start to decorate your home. You are sure to recognize the expression “a little goes a long way,” and this is something you should take to heart. If you don’t want to overwhelm your guests you should take a step back and see where you can decorate your party space to highlight the theme of the shower rather than overwhelm it.
There is another side to the decoration game when it comes to a gender reveal shower. And that is the under decorator.
You can do everything right up until the part when you start to decorate.
While there are couples that indulge and over decorate the house there are couples that tend to ignore the overall theme and decorate as if they are throwing a normal baby shower.
This is more problematic when you have gone out of your way to make sure everyone knows that you are hosting a gender reveal shower.
If your invitations might lead people to think they will be guessing your baby’s gender but if the home scream traditional baby shower when they walk in the door they might be left scratching their heads.
There are a couple of ways you can avoid either of these mistakes and it will make things easier on your time and budget.
- Too Much: If you think your might fall into the first category and have over planned the decorations you can go ahead and take what you have acquired and place a priority on things. When you have lots of small options you can go and find the best pieces and place them for the maximum effect. If you have lots of big decorations do the same thing. Find the piece that has the most effect and place it so that it tells your guests that they will be at a gender reveal shower but don’t dominate decor.
- Too Little: When you think your decorations don’t fit with the theme you have picked out you might want to go and purchase a few items that turn your shower around. Make sure that they match the pieces that you have already picked out so that you don’t need to get anything extra. This will help you concentrate on the parts that are the most important.
As an added bonus if you feel that you are in either of the two categories you can get print products that give you additional room for customization and decoration. Many popular baby shower games are also available for your theme.
When you personalize them to fit your afternoon you can make things work in your favor.
Now that you have all of the pieces together it’s time to plan it.
Wait. Don’t we plan first?
While this is the normal, logical flow of planning a party of this size, unfortunately people get excited and go into the fun parts first. This is picking out and printing the invitations for the gender reveal shower. But now it is time to start planning.
What do you need to do to plan your gender reveal shower when you have already purchased things like invitations and decorations?
Easy, since things are fairly liquid with any party of this size you do have some freedom when it comes planning the different aspects of the afternoon. And if you have already started to acquire things like invitations and the like it shows you already have a bit of thought put into your guest list and you’ve set a date for the celebration.
This means you just need to settle on a couple of different aspects that will help things go smoothly.
- Since you have already ordered your invitations you should have a good idea of how many guests will be present at the shower. When you plan a baby shower you will need to know how many people will be attending so that you can go ahead and get the items that are dependent on the guest count.
- Food is one things that is dependent on how many people you invite to the shower.
- This translates into things like paper plates, cups and other decorations that they are connected to the food.
- Make sure you include an RSVP card or option for your guests to get an accurate idea who will be attending.
- Take and make a list of your different game plans. This will be based on several different aspects for the shower.
- If not all of your guests are likely to play a game scale the amount of gifts/prizes back. When people sit a game out that you planned you will see that at the end of the day you have plenty of different prizes left over. This will eat into your budget so plan according to the number of people you invite.
- Get gifts that are fun and affordable for the baby shower. Use flexible gifts that can go toward different games. Or if you want to make things even easier you can choose a couple of base gifts that you can hand out. When a guest wins multiple games pick a gift from the different options. Then choose a couple of grand prizes that will be for single winner games only.
- Take an inventory of all of the different pieces you have already taken care of and put them together with the other pieces that you need. Then check them off and get the rest of the items on the list.
As you can see, even if you have already acquired the gender reveal invitations you can easily get yourself back on track when it comes to planning a baby shower.
There are plenty of resources out there that will help you get a good grip on planning your shower. Parents.com has a good resource for parents planning a gender reveal shower.
Here are a few more examples that we wanted to share with you. These are among the top ten most popular designs that have been making a buzz with expectant parents all over.
As you can see there are plenty of different ways to style a gender reveal baby shower invitation. Many of them already come complete with a witty text, a taste of the theme and a cute way of presenting your party so that your guests know what they are getting.
Why Are Gender Reveal Parties Unpopular?Rachel Jager wrote a witty and, while we hate to admit it, a very fitting article about gender reveal parties on Cosmopolitan. And while we didn’t agree with all of the points she had a lot of valid points from a guests point-of-view.
While we have given you plenty of points to avoid a disastrous gender reveal shower, there is one point that should be repeated for effect.
Rachel stated she doesn’t “need to learn about your future kid’s genitalia just to enjoy some frosting.” And while we too love cake she is right. When you focus on the gender too heavily you run the risk of alienating people at what would otherwise be a fun party.
When you focus on balance you can change a person’s misgivings into a positive experience and have a memorable gender reveal, which is what you in most cases wanted when you started planning a popular, though sometimes overdone, party when you got started.